[linux-lvm] Copying a raw disk image to LVM2

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 11 07:32:12 UTC 2016

emmanuel segura schreef op 11-07-2016 0:02:

> the lvm metadata is stored in the begining of the physical volume, the
> logical volume is simple block device, so using dd you don't overwrite
> any lvm header.

I must say I did experience something weird when copying a LUKS
partition (encrypted).

Apparently LUKS stores information about the device it is on (or was
one) because I coudln't get it to re-adjust to a larger volume.

cryptsetup resize is supposed to resize to the size of the underlying
block device.

I had to recreate my LUKS container before it would recognise the new
size.

E.g. I copied from 2GB volume to 3GB volume using dd.

LUKS kept thinking it was still on a 2GB volume.

So resize didn't work and I could manually resize it to 3GB but
automatic resize would resize it back to 2GB.