[linux-lvm] export/migrate - but only a LV - how?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Jul 22 13:49:49 UTC 2016

Brassow Jonathan schreef op 22-07-2016 15:12:

> One advantage is that pvmove allows you to keep the device online...

Right, that is pretty advanced. Good going.

> We are also working on a feature ATM called “duplicate”.  It allows
> you to create a duplicate of any LV stack, create the duplicate where
> you want, and even change the segment type in the process.  For
> example, you could move a whole RAID5 LV, or thin-p, in one go.

I think one important "trouble spot" is that there is no operation
yet(?) to create a duplicate of a PV that will not ruin the system
unless you do pvchange -u and vgchange -u ;-).

It took quite a bit of time for me to realize what was going on ;-).

Is PVMOVE supposed to be a backup task? I don't think so? How are you
supposed to back something up if you are planning to move your system to
a new disk?