[linux-lvm] Recovering from incomplete pvmove

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Sun Jun 12 02:17:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 08:40:12AM -0500, Brassow Jonathan wrote:
> how far did the pvmove get?  What was the layout of the LV?  Did you already attempt mounting it?

Thank you for responding, Jonathan.

The drive had a dozen partitions ( 250 GB each ), and, as I remember, I
may have successfully moved one.  Shortly afterward, the drive
completely failed, and, after some attempts to restore it to working, I
sent it off to a data recovery service, who told me that the heads had
crashed, and it was scrap metal.

I have done vgscan, and that complains about missing UUIDs.

I had added a new drive and one or more PVs to the VG, and that was what
I was trying to pvmove.

I have not attached the "new" drive to the machine since the old one failed.

I suspect that things are past saving, and that the parts of the drive
that may have been successfully transferred are beyond recovery.
However, I have never worked in this part of LVM, so thought that I
would ask.

Brian