[linux-lvm] about the lying nature of thin

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue May 3 11:57:26 UTC 2016

Mark H. Wood schreef op 02-05-2016 15:18:

> Failure to adequately manage resources to redeem contracted promises
> is the provider's lie, not LVM's.  Failure to plan is planning to
> fail.

Exactly. And it starts being a lie when resources don't outlast use, and
in some way the provider doesn't own up to that but let's it happen.

That is irrespective however of the thought that choosing to or not
choosing to communicate any part of that when it does happen or would
happen, is a choice you can make and it doesn't take away from thin
provisioning at all.

If you feel you can always meet your expectations and those of your
clients and work hard to achieve that, you may never run into the
situation. However if you do run into the situation the choice becomes
how to deal with that.

You can also make a proactive choice in advance to either then be open,
or to stick your head in the sand, as they proverbially say.

I bet many contingency plans used in business everywhere have choices
surrounding this being made in advance. When do we alert the public.
When do we open up. When does it go so far that we cannot hide it
anymore.

In Dutch we call this "keeping in the dirty laundry" -- you only take
the clean laundry out to dry (on a line). It is quite customary and
usual for a human being not to want to give insight into private matters
that might only confuse the other person.

At the same time there is also the question of when to own up to stuff
that is actually important to another person and I think this is a
question of ethics.

Sometimes people are not harmed by not knowing things, but you would be
harmed by them knowing it.
Sometimes people are harmed by not knowing things, and you are not
harmed by them knowing it.

I think that if we are talking about a business setting where you have
promised a certain thing to people who are now depending on it, that the
thing shifts in the direction of the second statement.

If you have a contractual responsibility to deliver, you also have a
contractual responsibility to inform. That is my opinion on the subject,
at least.