[linux-lvm] LVM Merge

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon May 16 11:58:26 UTC 2016

On 16.5.2016 13:14, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 04:35:44AM +0000, Tom Jay wrote:
>> I've posted a question to the debian-user mailing list, but am yet to receive a response.
>> I am running Debian 7.9 64-bit with kernel version 3.2.0 and would like to use the 'lvconvert --merge' feature, but do not have 'snapshot-merge' support in the kernel. Does anyone have any idea how to enable this?
>> The original post is here: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/05/msg00496.html.
>
> So you don't have any snapshot support in your running kernel.
> But your kernel is modular, and if you attempt a snapshot operation,
> lvm2 will try to load the snapshot module if it is available.
>
> To try this manually, do 'modprobe dm-snapshot' (see 'man modprobe')
> then retry 'dmsetup targets'.

Please always attach version of lvm2  and kernel in use.

Debian version has some local patches for 'modprobe' usage - so maybe check
it 'auto' modprobe works properly in your case ?
(rmmod dm-snapshot  -  and check if lvcreate -s  still works)

Are you build your own kernel - or do you use  'distro' debian kernel ?

Regards

Zdenek