[linux-lvm] Unexptected filesytem unmount with thin provision and autoextend disabled - lvmetad crashed?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon May 16 21:39:29 UTC 2016

In likelyhood there is just a delay, but I am sending this mail again in
case it didn't arrive:

Zdenek Kabelac schreef op 16-05-2016 16:09:

> Behavior should be there for quite a while, but relatively recent fixes
> in dmeventd has made it working more reliable in more circumstances.
> I'd recommend to play at least with 142 - but since recent releases are
> bugfix oriented - if you are compiling yourself - just take latest.

Thanks Zdenek. You know I've had an interest in more thin safety, and
though I may have been an ass sometimes, and though I was told that the
perfect admin never runs into trouble ;-), I'm still concerned with
actual practical measures :p.

I don't use my thin volumes for the system. That is difficult anyway
because Grub doesn't allow it (although I may start writing for that at
some point). But for me, a frozen volume would be vastly superior to the
system locking up.

So while I was writing all of that ..material, I didn't realize that in
my current system's state, the thing would actually cause the entire
system to freeze. Not directly, but within a minute or so everything
came to a halt. When I rebooted, all of the volumes were filled 100%,
that is to say, all of the thin capacities added up to a 100% for the
thin pool, and the pool itself was at 100%.

I didn't check the condition of the filesystem. You would assume it
would contain partially written files.

If there is anything that would actually freeze the volume but not bring
the system down, I would be most happy. But possibly it's the (ext)
filesystem driver that makes trouble? Like we said, if there is no way
to communicate space-fullness, what is it going to do right?

So is that dmeventd supposed to do anything to prevent disaster? Would I
need to write my own plugin/configuration for it?

It is not running on my system currently. Without further amendments of
course the only thing it could possibly do is to remount a filesystem
read-only, like others have indicated it possibly already could.

Maybe it would even be possible to have a kernel module that blocks a
certain kind of writes, but these things are hard, because the kernel
doesn't have a lot of places to hook onto by design. You could simply
give the filesystem (or actually the code calling for a write) write
failures back.

All of that code is not filesystem dependent, in the sense that you can
simply capture those writes in the VFS system, and not pass them on. At
the cost of some extra function calls. But then you would need that
module to know that certain volumes are read-only, and others aren't.
All in all not very hard to do, if you know how to do the concurrency.
In that case you could have a dmeventd plugin that would set this state,
and possibly a user tool that would unset it. The state is set for all
of the volumes of a thin pool, so the user tool would only need to unset
this for the thin pool, not the volumes. In practice, in the beginning,
this would be all you would need.

So I am just currently wondering about that

what other people have said. That the system already does this (mounting
read-only).

I believe my test system just failed because the writes only took a few
seconds to fill up the volume. Not a very good test, sorry. I didn't
realize that, that it would check only in intervals.

I still wonder what freezes my system like that.

Regards, B.

And I'm sorry for any .... disturbance I may have caused here. Regards.