[linux-lvm] Backup superblock for thin provision?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue May 17 13:18:11 UTC 2016

On 16/05/2016 20:55, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> There is more to the thinp metadata than just the metadata superblock.
>
> The DM thin-pool's metadata device was purposely split out from the data
> device to allow for additional metadata fault protection using RAID.
>
> I'll defer to the LVM developers for if/how LVM can be used to have
> thinp metadata redundancy even if you don't have multiple devices to be
> able to use a conventional RAID device.

Sure - I'm using thinp on a RAID6 volume, with two disks redundancy.

But what about an user error, or a lvm-related bug, which invalidate the
superblock? In this case, RAID is of no help. On the other side, a
superblock backup copy can be used to restore the system without major
data loss.

More in general, how do you deal with metadata backups?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico