[linux-lvm] LVM Merge

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Wed May 18 08:21:41 UTC 2016

On 18.5.2016 10:13, Tom Jay wrote:
> Hello, This question was in fact answered by the debian-kernel mailing list,
> who informed me that the documentation was probably wrong. The kernel does
> actually support merging volumes, just the 'dmsetup targets' output only
> refers to output from modules that are already loaded, not what is supported.
> Using 'lvconvert --merge' works without problems. This is the original thread:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2016/05/msg00186.html. Thanks! Tom

Hi

The issue is - properly compiled  'lvm2'  does  call 'modprobe' internally.
So if you have failing  'lvconvert --merge' because  snapshot-merge module
was not loaded and you will load it by your own modprobe call - then your lvm2
tool is miscompiled (compiled without modprobe support...)

Regards

Zdenek