[linux-lvm] lvm2 raid volumes

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Sep 16 15:03:18 UTC 2016

Heinz Mauelshagen schreef op 16-09-2016 16:13:

> Yes, looks like you don't have the 2nd PV accessible by the time when
> the raid1 is being discovered and initially activated,
> hence the superblock can't be retrieved.
>
> These messages seem to be coming from initramfs, so check which driver
> is missing/not loaded to access the 2nd PV.
>
> The fact that you gain access to the raid1 completely after reboot (as
> you mention further down) tells the
> aforementioned fact is reasoning this degraded activation.
> I.e. disk driver loaded after root pivot.
> Please ensure it is available in the initramfs and loaded.
>
> Heinz

Yes, thank you.

The problem was that the VG that contained the PV used as the 2nd PV was
not getting activated at initramfs time.

I solved it now by creating some hooks that would obtain a hierarchical
PV list from a running system and then ensure all PVs in that list that
were also LVs, would get activated prior to the root device.

The issue is really that (on Ubuntu) LV activation is very selective in
the initramfs. Of course it is an embedded or "enclosed" setup, maybe it
is not recommended. Regardless the only issue was that LVs are getting
selectively activated (only root and swap).

Regards.