[linux-lvm] creating DD copies of disks

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Sep 17 15:18:25 UTC 2016

I've been the maintainer of the G4L disk imaging project since 2004, and
many of its options are using dd with compression to make disk/partition
images or clone disks.

A couple of issues. if you make an image or clone of the disk, you probable
will not have a problem since it will copy the blkid info from the old drive, so it
will match as part of boot process. The big problem is if the new disk is going
into a machine with a controller that is not part of you initrd. The disk will be
identical, but since the contoller isn't included it will not be able to boot.

Recently, had a motherboard in a system go bad. Moved disk to another
machine, and default kernel wouldn't boot because of different on board
controller. Was able to boot from the older rescue kernel, and then go thru
the process of rebuilding the initrd for the latest kernel. Then that one booted
fine.

Had a similar issue many years ago, when I imaged an IDE hard disk to a
new sata disk.

With windows systems, there seem to be more issues. On the same machine
it works fine, but moving to systems that are just a little different sometimes
results in various messages.

Good Luck.