[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Mark Mielke mark.mielke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 08:19:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:

> I'm seeking some advice for a new virtualization system (KVM) on top of
> LVM. The goal is to take agentless backups via LVM snapshots.
>
> In short: what you suggest to snapshot a quite big (8+ TB) volume? Classic
> LVM (with old snapshot behavior) or thinlvm (and its new snapshot method)?

I found classic LVM snapshots to suffer terrible performance. I switched to
BTRFS as a result, until LVM thin pools became a real thing, and I happily
switched back.

I expect this depends on exactly what access patterns you have, how many
accesses will happen during the time the snapshot is held, and whether you
are using spindles or flash. Still, even with some attempt to be objective
and critical... I think I would basically never use classic LVM snapshots
for any purpose, ever.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>