[linux-lvm] root: Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge

Roger Morton ttguy1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 07:17:25 UTC 2017

I wanted to merge a old snap shot (root_snap10) of my root file system back
into root.

    LV          VG         Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%
 Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  home_lv     kubuntu-vg rwi-aor--- 1000.00g
     100.00
  root        kubuntu-vg owi-aor---   50.00g
     100.00
  root_snap10 kubuntu-vg swi-a-s---   50.00g      root   28.42
  root_snap14 kubuntu-vg swi-a-s---   50.00g      root   0.00

So I boot from a USB and ensure /dev/kubuntu-vg/root is not mounted and I
issue the lvconvert command below.
And it errors with "Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge"

sudo lvconvert --merge /dev/kubuntu-vg/root_snap10
Merging of volume root_snap10 started
root: Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge

root_snap10 would  appear to be gone.
I can boot to this system and the system does appear to have been restored
to the state it was when the snapshot was taken.

However, if I try snapshot root now

sudo lvcreate -s -n root_snap10b -L 50G /dev/kubuntu-vg/root
  Snapshots of an origin that has a merging snapshot is not supported

So the system still thinks   /dev/kubuntu-vg/root is in the middle of
merging.
Which worries me - my root file system might be in some half and half state
between two different snapshots

*     Is there a way out of this conundrum?       *

I do have a snapshot I took just before attempting the merge (root_snap14).
I guess I could try and  merge that to root.

I am on kubuntu 16.04

lvm version
 LVM version:     2.02.133(2) (2015-10-30)
 Library version: 1.02.110 (2015-10-30)