[linux-lvm] stripped LV with segments vs one segment

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 12:27:19 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 01:16 PM, lejeczek wrote:

> I had 3 stripe LV, you know, three PVs, and wanted the LV to have 4
> stripes, wanted to add 4th PV, you can see it from above lvdisplay.

What you want is "reshape" not extend. This was committed as RAID
feature to 2.02.169, but it is still somewhat experimental. You would
need to convert stripe LV to RAID0 (aka takeover) and then reshape.

> I tried these and each time it errored:
> $ lvextend -v -i 4 -l+100%free dellH200.InternalB/0
> $ lvextend -v -i 4 -l+100%pv dellH200.InternalB/0 /dev/sdf
> $ lvextend -i 4 -l 100%vg dellH200.InternalB/0

lvextend With -i 4 this would add another striped segment with 4 devices
after the first segment - and IIUC you do not have enough space for that.