[linux-lvm] root: Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge

Roger Morton ttguy1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 09:42:26 UTC 2017

Thanks for the reply Zdenek,

So just to make sure I have this correct - you think that my merge was
probably working just fine and that all I needed was patience.
I just needed to wait until the merge completed?

An answer on http://serverfault.com/questions/559649/see-progress-
of-lvm-merge tells me that

" lvs -a: Data% columns will go down to 0% while merging  "

So here is my  lvs -a - Data% is nothing on root now. So I guess that means
it has completed.

god at new-desktop:~$ sudo lvs -a
 LV                 VG         Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%
 Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
 home_lv            kubuntu-vg rwi-aor--- 1000.00g
                                   100.00
 root               kubuntu-vg owi-aor---   50.00g
                                   100.00

And in fact today I can create a new snapshot of root. So the merge has
completed - I guess.

So really what was that error that told me "Aborting merge" ?  You are
telling me that it did not abort the merge. It was just doing it in the
back ground?  I would humbly suggest that this message be changed!!
Because "Aborting merge" sure sounds like the system is giving up on doing
the merge.  Which causes concerns to the joe shmo user like me.