[linux-lvm] VG won't activate -- dm problem

Scott Hazelhurst Scott.Hazelhurst at wits.ac.za
Wed Apr 26 05:29:57 UTC 2017

A couple of days ago I raised the problem of not being able to activate a volume group, and getting an error message  device-mapper: reload ioctl on (252:6) failed: Device or resource busy.

In case, this is of help to anyone else, I found the problem. The PV for the volume group was /dev/sdc. About 18 months ago, it was part of a software raid volume (not using LVM). I decided not to run RAID and disabled it. All was fine for a long time through various OS updates and machine reboots. However, after I upgraded Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04, something got reactivated in some way. I presume I did something wrong originally. [As an aside I have checked and another of my machines that went through the same update had the same problem]

So here the error message was relatively spot on. I was distracted by the 252:6 part of the message and the absence of /dev/dm-6. The VG could not be activated because the raid was managing it. I used mdadm to stop and delete the RAID and restarted and all is well.

Scott