[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 11:23:44 UTC 2017

Dne 26.4.2017 v 10:10 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):

> I'm not sure this is sufficient. In my testing, ext4 will *not* remount-ro on
> any error, rather only on erroneous metadata updates. For example, on a
> thinpool with "--errorwhenfull y", trying to overcommit data with a simple "dd
> if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/thinvol bs=1M count=1024 oflag=sync" will cause I/O
> errors (as shown by dmesg), but the filesystem is *not* immediately remounted
> read-only. Rather, after some time, a failed journal update will remount it
> read-only.

You need to use 'direct' write more - otherwise you are just witnessing issues
related with 'page-cache' flushing.

Every update of file means update of journal - so you surely can lose some
data in-flight - but every good software needs to the flush before doing next
transaction - so with correctly working transaction software no data could be
lost.

> XFS should behave similarly, with the exception that it will shutdown the
> entire filesystem (ie: not even reads are allowed) when metadata errors are
> detected (see note n.1).

Yep - XFS is slightly different - but it gets improved, however some new
features are not enabled by default and user needs to enabled them.

Regards

Zdenek