[linux-lvm] Caching policy in machine learning context

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:55:41 UTC 2017

Dne 13.2.2017 v 11:58 Jonas Degrave napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> We are a group of scientists, who work on reasonably sized datasets
> (10-100GB). Because we had troubles managing our SSD's (everyone likes to have
> their data on the SSD), I set up a caching system where the 500GB SSD caches
> the 4TB HD. This way, everybody would have their data virtually on the SSD,
> and only the first pass through the dataset would be slow. Afterwards, it
> would be cached anyway, and the reads would be faster.
>
> I used lvm-cache for this. Yet, it seems that the (only) smq-policy is very
> reluctant in promoting data to the cache, whereas what we would need, is that
> data is promoted basically upon the first read. Because if someone is using
> the machine on certain data, they will most likely go over the dataset a
> couple of hundred times in the following hours.
>
> Right now, after a week of testing lvm-cache with the smq-policy, it looks
> like this:
>
>     jdgrave at kat:~$ sudo ./lvmstats
>     start              0
>     end                7516192768
>     segment_type       cache
>     md_block_size      8
>     md_utilization     14353/1179648
>     cache_block_size   128
>     cache_utilization  7208960/7208960
>     read_hits          19954892
>     read_misses        84623959
>     read_hit_ratio     19.08%
>     write_hits         672621
>     write_misses       7336700
>     write_hit_ratio    8.40%
>     demotions          151757
>     promotions         151757
>     dirty              0
>     features           1
>

>      jdgrave at kat:~$ sudo ./lvmcache-statistics.sh
>     LVM [2.02.133(2)] cache report of found device /dev/VG/lv
>     - Cache Usage: 100.0% - Metadata Usage: 1.2%
>     - Read Hit Rate: 19.0% - Write Hit Rate: 8.3%
>     - Demotions/Promotions/Dirty: 151757/151757/0
>     - Feature arguments in use: writeback
>     - Core arguments in use : migration_threshold 2048 smq 0
>       - Cache Policy: stochastic multiqueue (smq)
>     - Cache Metadata Mode: rw
>     - MetaData Operation Health: ok
>

> The number of promotions has been very low, even though the read hit rate is
> low as well. This is with a cache of 450GB, and currently only 614GB of data
> on the cached device. A read hit rate of lower than 20%, when just randomly
> caching would have achieved 73% is not what I would have hoped to get.
>
> Is there a way to make the caching way more aggressive? Some settings I can tweak?

Hi

You've not reported kernel version use.
Please provide results kernel 4.9.

Also note - cache will NOT cache blocks which are well enough covered by
'page-cache' and it's also 'slow' moving case - so it needs couple repeated
usage of blocks (without page-cache)  to be promoted to cache.

Regards

Zdenek