[linux-lvm] multipath_component_detection

Ken Goods kgoods at cropusainsurance.com
Mon Jan 16 19:46:20 UTC 2017

Hi all,
Just a quick question. I've been setting up a (iscsi) LUN and want to create an LVM PV on it.

The docs I have read are somewhat conflicted. Some say that the underlying devices should be filtered, however according to comments in lvm.conf it says that if multipath_component_detection is enabled, "LVM2 will ignore devices used as component paths of device-mapper multipath devices".

So filtering is no longer necessary with LVM2?

I would just try it but this is a live email server and I'd like to keep the downtime to a minimum.

Thanks in advance.

Ken