[linux-lvm] convert LV to physical device _in_place_?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Thu Jul 13 16:06:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

> PV has 'header' so the real 'data' are shifted by  PV header+lvm2 metadata.
> and also LV does not need to be sequential.
>
> However if you have been having a single 'segment' LV and and you calculate
> proper skipping offset (typically 1MB) you can try to use such device
> directly without lvm2 with a loop device mapping -  see losetup --offset

The AIX system used a single segment boot volume LV so that bootstrap
code needed only an offset and did not need to understand the LVM.
But the boot volume was a normal LV in all other respects.  I think
there was a flag on the LV to ensure it remained a single segment.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at gathman.org>