[linux-lvm] lvextend does not change/fix stripes & stripesize for the whole LV?

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 09:47:37 UTC 2017

Dne 4.3.2017 v 14:58 lejeczek napsal(a):
> right?
> Or it does?
> From man pages my understanding is - it does not, an expression "the
> extension" is used there.
>
> If I have a LV with 2 stripes and 64KiB stripesizes, then adding two more
> stripes, like this:
>
> $ lvextend h300Int1/0 -i 2 -I 16 /dev/sd3 /dev/sd4 (if it was to succeed)
>
> will change the LV into 4 stripes LV, but what would happened to stripesize(s)?

Hi

At this moment lvm2 supports extension only of the same types.
So extended/added segment will have some 'geometry' as the last/previous
segment of your extended LV.

So if you do not add any 'striping' parameters - they will be automatically
detected from LV, if you add them - they will be compared and in case of
mismatch operation will be rejected.

Also if the allocation policy and free space in VG allows - extension will try
first to extend existing segment before allocating new space somewhere else in VG.

Regards

Zdenek