[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Sun May 14 20:39:21 UTC 2017

Il 12-05-2017 15:42 Joe Thornber ha scritto:

> I think dm-thin behaviour is fine given the semantics of write
> and flush IOs.
>
> A block device can complete a write even if it hasn't hit the physical
> media, a flush request needs to come in at a later time which means
> 'flush all IOs that you've previously completed'.  So any software
> using
> a block device (fs, database etc), tends to generate batches of writes,
> followed by a flush to commit the changes.  For example if there was a
> power failure between the batch of write io completing and the flush
> completing you do not know how much of the writes will be visible when
> the machine comes back.
>
> When a pool is full it will allow writes to provisioned areas of a thin
> succeed.  But if any writes failed due to inability to provision then a
> REQ_FLUSH io to that thin device will *not* succeed.
>
> - Joe

True, but the real problem is that most of the failed flushes will *not*
bring the filesystem read-only, as both ext4 and xfs seems to go
read-only only when *metadata* updates fail. As this very same list
recommend using ext4 with errors=remount-ro on the basis that putting
the filesystem in a read-only state after any error I the right thing, I
was somewhat alarmed to find that, as far I can tell, ext4 goes
read-only on metadata errors only.

So, let me reiterate: can we consider thinlvm + xfs as safe as thinlvm +
ext4 + errors=remount-ro?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan