[linux-lvm] cache on SSD makes system unresponsive

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Oct 19 18:13:15 UTC 2017

Oleg Cherkasov schreef op 19-10-2017 19:54:

> Any ideas what may be wrong?

All I know myself in the past have tried to cache an embedded encrypted
LVM in a regular home system.

The problem was probably caused by the SSD not clearing write caches
fast enough but I too got some 2 minute "hanging process" outputs on the
console.

So it was probably a queueing issue within the kernel and might not have
been related to the cache,

but I'm still not sure if there wasn't an interplay at work.

The main cause was a way too slow SSD but at the same time... that sorta
thing still shouldn't happen, locking up the entire system.

I haven't had a chance to try again with a faster SSD.

Regards...