[linux-lvm] cache on SSD makes system unresponsive

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Sat Oct 21 03:05:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 20 2017 at  3:35pm -0400,
John Stoffel <john at stoffel.org> wrote:

> I think you're running into a RedHat bug at this point.  I'd probably
> move to Debian and run my own kernel with the latest patches for MD, etc.

There is no reason to think this is a "RedHat bug".. verdict is very much
still out (but yes the kernel core is very different in RHEL7 than
upstream Linux.. though we have no details to suggest _where_ the issue
lies.. if it is a pathologicl dm-cache code issue then RHEL7.4 and
upstream Linux should both see the problem).

Moving distros is a waste of time given that RHEL7.4 and Centos7.4 have
the latest dm-cache code.  The issue is likely DM-cache specific (not
RHEL7.4 specific).

In general: RHEL7 or Centos7 will provide the best support of DM-cache.
All developers invested in DM-cache work for Red Hat.

Mike