[linux-lvm] Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Sep 8 11:06:09 UTC 2017

Gionatan Danti schreef op 08-09-2017 12:35:
> Hi list,
> as by the subject: is it possible to reserve space for specific thin
> logical volumes?
>
> This can be useful to "protect" critical volumes from having their
> space "eaten" by other, potentially misconfigured, thin volumes.
>
> Another, somewhat more convoluted, use case is to prevent snapshot
> creation when thin pool space is too low, causing the pool to fill up
> completely (with all the associated dramas for the other thin
> volumes).

For my 'ideals' thin space reservation (which would be like allocation
in advance) would definitely be a welcome thing.

You can also think of it in terms of a default pre-allocation setting.
I.e. every volume keeps a bit of space over-allocated while only doing
so if there is actually room in the thin volume (some kind of lazy
allocation?).

Of course not trying to steal your question here and I do not know if
any such thing is possible but it might be and I wouldn't mind hearing
the answer as well.

No offense intended. Regards.