[linux-lvm] Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Sep 12 05:28:38 UTC 2017

Il 12-09-2017 00:56 matthew patton ha scritto:
> with the obvious caveat that in ZFS the block layer and the file
> layers are VERY tightly coupled. LVM and the block layer see
> eye-to-eye but ext4 et. al. have absolutely (almost?) no clue what's
> going on beneath it and thus LVM is making (false) guarantees that the
> filesystem is relying upon to actually be true.

Sure, but in the previous examples, I did *not* use the ZFS filesystem
part; rather, I used it as a logical volume manager to carve out block
devices to be used by other, traditional filesystems.

The entire discussion stems from the idea to let thinp reserve some
space to avoid a full pool, by denying new snapshot and volume creation
when a free space threshold is crossed.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan