[linux-lvm] Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Sep 12 17:14:58 UTC 2017

On 12/09/2017 16:37, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> ZFS with zpolls with thin with thinpools running directly on top of device.
>
> If zpools - are 'equally' fast as thins  - and gives you better protection,
> and more sane logic the why is still anyone using thins???
>
> I'd really love to see some benchmarks....
>
> Of course if you slow down speed of thin-pool and add way more
> synchronization points and consume 10x more memory :) you can get better
> behavior in those exceptional cases which are only hit by unexperienced
> users who tends to intentionally use thin-pools in incorrect way.....

Having benchmarked them, I can reply :)

ZFS/ZVOLs surely are slower than thinp, full stop.
However, they are not *massively* slower.

To tell the truth, what somewhat slow me on ZFS adoption is its low
integration in the Linux kernel subsystem. For example:
- cache duplication (ARC + pagecache)
- slow reclaim of memory used for caching
- SPL (sun porting layer)
- dependency on 3rd part module

Thinp is great tech - and I am already using it. I did not started this
thread as ZFS vs Thinp, really. Rather, I would like to understand how
to better use thinp, and I traced a parallelism with ZVOLs, nothing more.

Thanks.

Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico
Assyoma S.r.l. - www.assyoma.it