[linux-lvm] Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Sep 13 08:21:00 UTC 2017

Il 13-09-2017 01:31 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
> It's not just about 'complexity' in frame work.
> You would lose all the speed as well.
> You would significantly raise-up  memory requirement.
>
> There is very good reason complex tools like  'thin_ls' are kept in
> user-space  outside of kernel   - with  'dm'  we tend to have simpler
> kernel logic
> and complexity should stay in user-space.
>
> And of course - as pointed out - the size of your 'reserve' is so
> vague  :) and could potentially present major portion of you whole
> thin-pool size without any extra benefit (as obviously any reserve
> could be too small unless you 'reach' fully provisioned state :)
>
> i.e. example:
> 10G thinLV  with  1G chunks -  single byte write may require full 1G
> chunk...
> so do you decide to keep 10 free chunks in reserves ??

What was missing (because I thought it was implicit) is that I expect
snapshot to never change - ie: they are read-only.
Anyway, I was not writing about "resevers" - rather, to
preassign/preallocate the required space to a specific volume.
A fallocate on a otherwise thinly provisioned volume, if you like.

> Supposedly:
>
> lvmconfig --typeconfig full --withversion
>
>         # Available since version 2.2.89.
>         thin_pool_autoextend_threshold=70
>

> However there were some bugs and fixes - and validation for not
> allowing to create new thins - so do not try anything below 169 and if
> you can
> go with 173....

Ah! I was not thinking about thin_pool_autoextend_threshold! I tried
with 166 (for now) and I don't see any major problems. However, I will
surely upgrade at the first opportunity!

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico