[linux-lvm] Option to silence "WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes exceeds the size of thin pool"

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 11:11:09 UTC 2017

Dne 19.9.2017 v 10:49 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
> On 18/09/2017 23:10, matthew patton wrote:
>> If the warnings are not being emitted to STDERR then that needs to be fixed
>> right off the bat.
>
> The line with WARNINGs are written on STDERR, at least con recent LVM version.
>
>> 'lvs -q blah' should squash any warnings.
>> 'lvcreate' frankly shouldn't output anything unless invoked with '-v'
>> anyway. So therefore '-q' should also squash warnings.
>
> I'm not sure this is the right approach. I do not expect "-q" to remove *all*
> warnings, because warnings can be quite important.

There are couple troubles - there are always a 'skilled  X  unskilled' users.
and also there are varying distro maintainers..

We are already facing some troubles when some distributions do make a changes
to default configuration files which are not really ideal for 'default' users
(in other words opinions about defaults are different - moreover based on
wrong blog post from users...)

So we can introduce  i.e.  'novice_user = 1' in lvm.conf  - but it might be
effectively dropped when package maintainer decides this way lvm2 makes less
annoying messages around some commands.

But in case of thin-pool it's better to warn-ahead  instead of facing troubles
later  (as full thin-pool is not going to be pleasant experience...)

So we are looking for some solution which cannot be easily 'hidden' for
everyone - so we do not end with reports about 'hidden over-provisioning'
causing system malfunctioning.  Yet it should be 'easy' to bypass it for
skilled admin.

IMHO the most convenient in my eyes is a usage of some sort of 'envvar'
LVM_SUPPRESS_POOL_WARNINGS....

Since we already use similar logic to bypass i.e.  FD close() warnings
LVM_SUPPRESS_FD_WARNINGS
LVM_SUPPRESS_LOCKING_FAILURE_MESSAGES

Regards

Zdenek