[linux-lvm] How to upgrade LVM2/CLVM to v2.02.180 from old versions

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 14:05:40 UTC 2018

On 08/03/2018 11:40 AM, Gang He wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I want to upgrade LVM2/CLVM to v2.02.180 from v2.02.120, but there are some problems which I want to confirm with you guys.
> 1) How to migrate /etc/lvm/lvm.conf? since the existing configuration file does not include some new attributes,
> could you help to figure out which new key attributes, which should be considered during the upgrade installation?

Have a look at lvmconfig command.

`lvmconfig --type diff`[1] can help you figure out what you changed.

And `lvmconfig --type new --sinceversion 2.02.120`[2] might be what you
are looking for.

[1]: Introduced in 2.02.119 so this should work even on your old
installation.
[2]: New in 2.02.136.

> 2) lvmpolld is necessary in LVM2/CLVM v2.02.180? I can find the related files in the installation file list
> /sbin/lvmpolld
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmpolld.service
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmpolld.socket
> this daemon should be enable by default? if we disable this daemon, LVM2/CLVM related features (e.g. pvmove) will be affected, or not?

pvmove should work mostly fine even without lvmpolld, the testsuite runs
both with and without lvmpolld.

I think the manpage of lvmpolld is good start:

        The  purpose of lvmpolld is to reduce
        the number of spawned background pro‐
        cesses  per  otherwise unique polling
        operation. There should be only  one.
        It also eliminates the possibility of
        unsolicited termination of background
        process by external factors.

Process receiving SIGHUP was one of the "external factors".

> 3) any other places (e.g. configuration files, binary files, features, etc.), which should be considered during the upgrade?

lvm1 and pool format were removed in 2.02.178. There is a branch adding
them back if you need them - *2018-05-17-put-format1-and-pool-back*. At
least it does apply almost cleanly :-)

-- Martian