[linux-lvm] lvm.conf backup section

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 14:56:22 UTC 2018

Dne 03. 12. 18 v 13:10 Far Had napsal(a):
> Hi, Thank you Zdenek
> You used "makes sure" phrase in your sentence:
> "this makes sure you should have files at least 10 days back as well"
>
> I was refering to that !

Hi

Oh - in that case I've been emphasizing the fact, that lvm2 will not REMOVE,
those. So nothing in the sense it will keep creating if they get missing :) so
something completely different.

If the admin runs  'rm -f /etc/lvm/archive/*' all archives are simply gone.
(so i.e. info about executed command is lost forever! as the kernel does not
hold all the info)

> So the whole thing is about PV metadata area and not /etc/lvm , am I correct?

Vise versa -    /etc/lvm/lvm.conf { backup/archive = 1 }  is purely about
/etc/lvm/archive.

There is *NO* control for user to influence PV metadata backup other then
limiting the size of metadata area - the smalller the area is - the smaller
'ring-buffer' will be - the less older metadata could be found there.

Regards

Zdenek