[linux-lvm] unable to exclude LVs using global_filter

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:16:34 UTC 2018

On 01/02/2018 10:43 AM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> The key concept to grasp is that LVM works with devices (i.e. major
> number + minor number pairs) rather than filesystem paths and it makes a
> single "use or ignore" decision for each device (not for each path).

That seems even more misleading than the original documentation, since
the filters are applied to each path, and not to the device.

I understand what you mean, now, but I don't think that explaining the
system that way is likely to help users understand.

I'll send a patch later which might be more clear.  Should I send it to
this list?  Martian (or Marian?  Signature didn't match the From header
on an earlier message) said that they'd also send a patch, but I'm not
sure where it will be sent.

BTW, simply removing the "a" filter solved my problem.  My vm_*_data LVs
are no longer processed, but the md device that backs the primary VG is,
so everything works as I expect it to. Thanks, again.