[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 11:10:14 UTC 2018

Dne 1.3.2018 v 10:43 Gianluca Cecchi napsal(a):
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com
> <mailto:zkabelac at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     Also note - we are going to integrate VDO support - which will be a 2nd.
>     way for thin-provisioning with different set of features - missing
>     snapshots, but having compression & deduplication....
>
>     Regards
>
>     Zdenek
>

> Interesting.
> I would have expected to find it already upstream, eg inside Fedora 27 to
> begin to try, but it seems not here.
> I found this for upcoming RH EL 7.5:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/storage_administration_guide/vdo
>
> but nothing neither in updates-testing for f27
> Is this one below the only and correct source to test on Fedora:
> https://github.com/dm-vdo/vdo
> ?

There is a COPR repository ATM available for certain f27 kernels.

For regular Fedora component  VDO target needs to go into upstream kernel
first - but this needs some code changes for the module - so stay tuned....

Note - current model is 'standalone' usage of VDO devices - while we do plan
to integrate support for VDO as another segtype.

Regards

Zdenek