[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Mar 1 12:48:09 UTC 2018

On 01/03/2018 12:23, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> In general - for extX  it's remount read-only upon error - which works
> for journaled metadata - if you want same protection for 'data' you need
> to switch to rather expensive data journaling mode.
>
> For XFS there is now similar logic where write error on journal stops
> filesystem usage - look far some older message (even here in this list)
> it's been mentioned already few times I guess...

Yes, we discussed here the issue. If I recall correctly, XFS journal is
a circular buffer which will be always written to already-allocated
chunks. From my tests (June 2017) it was clear that failing async
writes, even with errorwhenfull=y, did not always trigger a prompt XFS
stop (but the filesystem eventally shut down after some more
writes/minutes).

> Depends on use-case - if you take snapshots of your thin volume, this
> likely has will not help you with recovery at all.
>
> If your thin-volumes are rather standalone only occasionally modified
> 'growing' fs  images (so no trimming ;)) - then with this metadata
> backup there can be some small chance you would be able to obtain some
> 'usable' mappings of chunks to block device layout...
>
> Personally I'd not recommend to use this at all unless you know rather
> low-level details how this whole thing works....

Ok, I realized that and stopped using it for anything but testing.

> Unfreezed filesystem is simply not usable...

I was speaking about unfreezed thin metadata snapshot - ie:
reserve_metadata_snap *without* a corresponding release_metadata_snap.
Will that cause problems?

> Clearly  Startis is not a topic for lvm2 at all ;) that's all I'm going
> to say about this....

OK :p

I think VDO is a fruit of Permabit acquisition, right? As it implements
it's own thin provisioning, will thinlvm migrate to VDO or it will
continue to use the current dmtarget?

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico