[linux-lvm] [lvmlockd] Refresh lvmlockd leases after sanlock changes

Damon Wang damon.devops at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:37:58 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I made a environment lvm + lvmlockd + sanlock.

After active a lv with exclusive, we can see lock status via "lvmlockctl
-i" or "sanlock status" and it must be agreed.

But if use "sanlock client release -r xxxxxxx" to release the lock
manually, "lvmlockctl -i" shows as previous which means lvmlockd still
thinks the lock held, meanwhile other hosts now can get the lock.

So is there any way to refresh lock lease inside lvmlockd?

Thanks!

Damon

P.S

Why I have such question and environment?

I want to run vms on some hosts with a SAN, my plan is all hosts will login
to SAN and provide a lun as lvm pv. Each vm gets a thin lv from lvm as root
volume, and maybe some other thin lvs as data volume. So lvmlockd will
assurance only one host will change metadata at same time, and lvmthin will
provide thin provision.

But if want to live migrate the vm, it could be difficult since thin lv can
only be exclusive active on one host, if you want to active on another
host, the only way I find is use sanlock to release it manually. If you
have a better way, please tell me and thanks a loooot !!!