[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 10:18:01 UTC 2018

Dne 5.3.2018 v 10:42 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
> Il 04-03-2018 21:53 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
>> On the other hand all common filesystem in linux were always written
>> to work on a device where the space is simply always there. So all
>> core algorithms simple never counted with something like
>> 'thin-provisioning' - this is almost 'fine' since thin-provisioning
>> should be almost invisible - but the problem starts to be visible on
>> this over-provisioned conditions.
>>
>> Unfortunately majority of filesystem never really tested well all
>> those 'weird' conditions which are suddenly easy to trigger with
>> thin-pool, but likely almost never happens on real hdd....
>
> Hi Zdenek, I'm a little confused by that statement.
> Sure, it is 100% true for EXT3/4-based filesystem; however, asking on XFS
> mailing list about that, I get the definive answer that XFS was adapted to
> cope well with thin provisioning ages ago. Is it the case?

Yes - it has been updated/improved/fixed - and I've already given you a link
where you can configure the behavior of XFS when i.e. device reports  ENOSPC
to the filesystem.

What need to be understood here is - filesystem were not originally designed
to ever see such kind of errors - where you simply created filesystem in past,
the space was meant to be there all the time.

> Anyway, a more direct question: what prevented the device mapper team to
> implement a full-read-only/fail-all-writes target? I feel that *many*
> filesystem problems should be bypassed with full-read-only pools... Am I wrong?

Well complexity - it might look 'easy' to do on the first sight, but in
reality it's impacting all hot/fast paths with number of checks and it would
have rather dramatic performance impact.

The other case is, while for lots of filesystems it might look like best thing
- it's not always true - so there are case where it's more desired
to have still working device with 'several' failing piece in it...

And 3rd moment is - it's unclear from kernel POV - where this 'full' pool
moment actually happens - i.e. imagine running  'write' operation on one thin
device and 'trim/discard' operation running on 2nd. device.

So it's been left on user-space to solve the case the best way -
i.e. user-space can initiate  'fstrim' itself when full pool case happens or
get the space by number of other ways...

Regards

Zdenek