[linux-lvm] Can't work normally after attaching disk volumes originally in a VG on another machine

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:22:28 UTC 2018

Dne 27.3.2018 v 11:12 Xen napsal(a):
> Gang He schreef op 27-03-2018 7:55:
>
>> I just reproduced a problem from the customer, since they did virtual
>> disk migration from one virtual machine  to another one.
>> According to your comments, this does not look like a LVM code problem,
>> the problem can be considered as LVM administer misoperation?
>
> Counterintuitively, you must remove the PV from the VG before you remove the
> (physical) disk from the system.
>
> Yes that is something you can often forget doing, but as it stands resolving
> the situation often becomes a lot harder when you do it in reverse.
>
> Ie. removing the disk first and then removing the PV from the VG is a lot harder.

IMO 'vgreduce --removemissing'  doesn't look to me like a real rocket science.

Of course if the space on a missing PV has been in-use with some LVs - it gets
a bit more complex - but still as long as you don't care about data adding
'--force' option should usually help  (although there can be some room for
improvement -  but every coding takes its time - and there are not to many
hands working on this...)

Regards

Zdenek