[linux-lvm] Cannot create PV on /dev/dm-NN (/dev/dm-N works)

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 08:27:50 UTC 2018

Dne 27.3.2018 v 12:38 Michael Fladischer napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to create PVs on Multipath-Volumes that are available at
> /dev/dm-NN where N~[0-9] but I can create them on single digit devices
> like /dev/dm-9:
>
> # pvcreate /dev/dm-6
>    Physical volume "/dev/dm-6" successfully created.
>
> # pvcreate /dev/dm-16
>    Device /dev/dm-16 not found (or ignored by filtering).
>
> My Version of LVM is 2.02.168 from Debian 9.
> The filter ist set to a permissive value:
>    filter = [ "a|.*|" ]
>    global_filter = [ "a|.*|" ]
>
> Any ideas why two or more digits in the device path can cause it to be
> filtered by pvcreate?

Hi

lvm2 is detecting  multipath 'component' devices - those are not allowed to be
used for pvcreate.

You can use  'pvcreate -vvv' to get more information - there will be printed
the reason why devices are rejected....

Eventually if you can't figure this out yourself - provide this trace in
attachment.

Regards

Zdenek