[linux-lvm] Cannot create PV on /dev/dm-NN (/dev/dm-N works)

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:08:52 UTC 2018

I suggest you should never directly be touching the /dev/dm* devices
via that name.

Always touch the actual named device (/dev/mpath, /dev/vgname/lv  A
given dm device can be a number of other devices (lv,s, mpath, mpath
components, encrypted device, md raid, and probably some others).
>From just the dm* name you really don't know which kind of device it
is, and there is a lot of risk of confusion and/or data loss.

I have debugged situations were someone went in and partitioned all of
their /dev/dm* devices and some of those devices were actually the
LV's and others were they created PV's on other LV's.   Without a few
commands you cannot easily know what the dm* device is, so access it
via the more sensibly named device.