[linux-lvm] lvcreate from a setuid-root binary

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 17:57:18 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 05:39:56PM +0100, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> I am calling lvcreate from a setuid-binary, which internally calls

Let's stop there.  The fact you're asking a question about setuid
suggests you don't understand enough to be able to use it safely.

Seriously, never use setuid for anything until you have a thorough
understanding of its internals (userspace and kernel) and ld-linux,
capabilities, process contexts, acls, selinux etc.  It's just too easy
to make your system insecure because of something you didn't even
realise you had to consider!  (I could tell you some funny stories...)

trying to solve and the constraints you have and ask for advice about
ways to achieve it.

Alasdair