[linux-lvm] lvcreate from a setuid-root binary

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Fri Nov 16 15:41:53 UTC 2018

It's not very elegant, but the quick and dirty solution is to use sudo
to allow certain users to run specific commands with a real uid of
root.  You can say exactly what arguments the user has to use - the
sudoers file is where this is configured.  Or you can make a script -
which is probably better.  But said script should have no arguments, or
as few as possible - because any complexity allows that user to attempt
to exploit it to acheive root.  Such a script could trivially bring a
specific LV online, writable by a specific user.  More complex
requirement would be - more complex.

If LVM has more elegant features for this kind of thing, I'm all ears.