[linux-lvm] Best way to run LVM over multiple SW RAIDs?

Daniel Janzon daniel.janzon at edgeware.tv
Mon Dec 16 08:22:56 UTC 2019

> From: Guoqing Jiang <guoqing.jiang at cloud.ionos.com>
>>On 12/7/19 11:44 PM, John Stoffel wrote:
>> As Daniel says, he's got lots of disk load, but plenty of CPU, so the
>> single thread for RAID5 is a big bottleneck.

>Perhaps set "/sys/block/mdx/md/group_thread_cnt" could help here,

Now I finally had a chance to test this. It turns out to work great! It's not as fast as a non-raided linearly allocated LVM volume (about half of performance without getting a fat tail of high read/write response time). So there is a price for redundancy but that is worth it in my application. It's now up there in the same magnitude.

Thanks a lot Guoqing! You really helped me a lot here. I'd also like to thank John Stoffel for valuable input.