[linux-lvm] Lvm RAID0 vs lvm striping

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jul 3 15:45:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 2:33 AM John Ratliff <jdratlif at globalnoc.iu.edu> wrote:

> What is the difference between these two?

If the question is about segment type, raid0 and raid1 use the md
driver code (same kernel code the mdadm raid uses, but is managed with
LVM metadata and user space tools). And striped and mirror use an
internal implementation, although I'm not sure if this is internal to
LVM or device-mapper, and I think are considered legacy at this point.

'man 7 lvmraid' doesn't directly answer your question but contains
quite a lot of information about lvmraid. It does explicitly say to
use raid1 over mirror segment type. It doesn't say that about raid0 vs
stripe segment type, maybe the two implementations aren't all that
different but anyway I would use raid0.

--
Chris Murphy