[linux-lvm] system boot time regression when using lvm2-2.03.05

Heming Zhao heming.zhao at suse.com
Fri Sep 6 08:46:52 UTC 2019

the _online_pvscan_one cost too much time when booting.
It mainly job is to create file in /run/lvm/pvs_online, which role is to replace lvmetad.

when comment out _online_pvscan_one, below folders are blank
/run/lvm/pvs_online  & /run/lvm/vgs_online

I am not familiar with vg metadata layout. I GUESS the vg metadata is recorded on the first PV dev of PVs group devs. So the _online_pv_found job just use the vg metadata info to find/print whether or not this vg is ready. this part code cost time & less useful when system boot. Or in another word, this part code is not necessary for online vg/lv.
```c
_online_pv_found()
{
     _online_pvid_file_create // call open() to create "/run/lvm/pvs_online/xx"

     ... ...

     //zhm: below code just count the not online PV number.
     dm_list_iterate_items(pvl, &vg->pvs) {
         if (!_online_pvid_file_exists((const char *)&pvl->pv->id.uuid))
             pvids_not_online++;

         /* Check if one of the devs on the command line is in this VG. */
         if (dev_args && dev_in_device_list(pvl->pv->dev, dev_args))
             dev_args_in_vg = 1;
     }
}
```

the core/key code for online lvs is _pvscan_aa():
_pvscan_aa
  +-> _pvscan_aa_direct
  |    vgchange_activate

  or

  +-> process_each_vg   //this func can work without reading /run/lvm/pvs_online/xx
       _pvscan_aa_single
         vgchange_activate

So my first patch partly backout commit 25b58310e3d6. To use process_each_vg active lvs, this func can work without reading /run/lvm/pvs_online/xx.

For the _pvscan_aa_direct(), I don't totally understand it. I need some time to dig it.