[linux-lvm] What to do about new lvm messages

Stuart D Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Sat Aug 22 11:45:24 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020, L A Walsh wrote:

> I am trying to create a new pv/vg/+lvs setup but am getting some weird messages
>
> pvcreate  -M2 --pvmetadatacopies 2 /dev/sda1
>  Failed to clear hint file.
>  WARNING: PV /dev/sdd1 in VG Backup is using an old PV header, modify
> the VG to update.
>  Physical volume "/dev/sda1" successfully created.
>
> So why am I getting a message about not clearing a hint file (running s root)

Because there is an ole PV header on sdd1

>> From an online man page, I should have been able to use -ff to
> recreate a pv over
> the top of a preexisting one, but that didn't seem to work.  I got:
> pvcreate -ff -M2 --pvmetadatacopies 2 /dev/sda1
>  Failed to clear hint file.
>  WARNING: PV /dev/sdd1 in VG Backup is using an old PV header, modify

You wrote a new PV header on sda1 - but that didn't do diddly squat
about the old one on sdd1.

> the VG to update.
>  Cannot access VG Space with system ID Ishtar with unknown local system ID.
>  Device /dev/sda1 excluded by a filter.

The PV filter is excluding sda1.  Are you confused about what is on
which sdx?

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=4096 count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 4096 bytes (4.1 kB, 4.0 KiB) copied, 0.000175409 s, 23.4 MB/s

I hope sda1 was really what you think it was.

What is on sdd1?  None of your listings examine it.