[linux-lvm] System completely unstable after migrating to thin pools

Sreyan Chakravarty sreyan32 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:25:26 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 3:55 AM John Stoffel <john at stoffel.org> wrote:

> I suspect you're toast.  What are you trying to accomplish here
> though?  Trying to stuff 10 pounds of data into a 5 pound bag?  *grin*

I don't know what you mean by that. Do you mean that thin pools cannot be
migrated to from older LVMs ?

> Or are you trying to have the ability to take snapshots of your system
> to make rollbacks easier?

Yes.

> You need to post the output of your configuration in more detail, with
> dmesg output, logs, lvs, pvs, vgs output, etc.

$ lvs
  LV     VG       Attr       LSize    Pool   Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log
Cpy%Sync Convert
  fedora vgfedora Vwi-aotz--  700.00g pool00        16.66

  pool00 vgfedora twi-aotz-- <929.76g               12.54  16.62

$ pvs
  PV                                                    VG       Fmt  Attr
PSize   PFree
  /dev/mapper/luks-2ec7f1ae-6f9b-4896-a7b2-be7809e9d2f4 vgfedora lvm2 a--
 929.99g 120.00m

$ vgs
  VG       #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  vgfedora   1   2   0 wz--n- 929.99g 120.00m

dmesg:

https://pastebin.com/raw/svTX92SJ

> But really, you do have backups?

No.