[linux-lvm] faster snapshot creation?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Feb 25 09:31:43 UTC 2020

Il 2020-02-22 12:58 Eric Toombs ha scritto:
> So, is there a sort of "dumber" way of making these snapshots, maybe by
> changing the allocation algorithm or something?

Hi, I think that total snapshot creation time is dominated by LVM
flushing its (meta)data to the physical disks. Two things to try:
- use thin lvm snapshot (see man lvmthin);
- create a pv/vg/lv from a memory-backed loop device (ie: truncate
--size=1G /dev/shm/test.img; losetup -f /dev/shm/test.img; pvcreate
/dev/loop0 and so on...)

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico