[linux-lvm] Time needed for take a snapshot

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Jan 20 10:36:30 UTC 2020

Il 20-01-2020 10:22 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
> So having  thousands of LVs in a single VG will become probably your
> bottleneck.

Hi Zdenek, I was thinking more about having few LVs, but with different
amount of data/mapping.

For example, is a very fragmented volume (ie: one written randomically)
significantly slower to snapshot than an almost empty volume? I fully
expect some small difference; however, if an empty volume take 0.2s and
a fragmented one 20s, this would surely be significant.

Note that I never had such a slow snapshot, rather, even on aged and big
volumes, it always take <1s. However, other experiences are welcome.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico