[linux-lvm] Failed merge, still running?

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 13:12:37 UTC 2020

Dne 22. 01. 20 v 11:58 Mauricio Tavares napsal(a):
> So after a botched package update I decided to revert to the snapshot
> I took just before doing the update. After shutting guest down, I
> started
>
> lvconvert --merge vmhost_vg0/desktop_snap_20200121
>
> and instead of seeing the usual percentage of how far it has
> completed, I got nothing. lvs -a -o +devices shows
>
>    LV                      VG         Attr       LSize  Pool Origin
> Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert Devices
>    desktop                 vmhost_vg0 Owi-a-s--- 20.00g
>                                       /dev/sdb3(14848)
>    [desktop_snap_20200121] vmhost_vg0 Swi-a-s--- 10.00g      desktop 100.00
>
> I see nothing when I do lsof against both the lv (lsof
> /dev/vmhost_vg0/desktop) and its snapshot. dmsetup tells me:
>
> [root at vmhost ~]# dmsetup info /dev/vmhost_vg0/desktop
> Name:              vmhost_vg0-desktop
> State:             ACTIVE
> Read Ahead:        256
> Tables present:    LIVE
> Open count:        0
> Event number:      0
> Major, minor:      253, 5
> Number of targets: 1
> UUID: LVM-qa4WnlE7w8V7pasHwdNH6bnpz2ajYY1F2ZXwTWzpUE2r6eE2DftMGLHdeATE8XAq
>
> [root at vmhost ~]# dmsetup info /dev/vmhost_vg0/desktop_snap_20200121
> Name:              vmhost_vg0-desktop_snap_20200121
> State:             ACTIVE
> Read Ahead:        256
> Tables present:    LIVE
> Open count:        0
> Event number:      0
> Major, minor:      253, 15
> Number of targets: 1
> UUID: LVM-qa4WnlE7w8V7pasHwdNH6bnpz2ajYY1FkyXcvv8ai1Sc0q5zlsXeenYOqCPUXs3M
>
> [root at vmhost ~]#
>
> Before I blow that lv up, what else should I be checking?

Hi

Merging can ONLY start when devices are not in-use - so if you've issued merge
command while devices were still opened - the 'merge' operation has
been just committed into lvm2 metadata and the actual merge would normally
happen/start with next activation of the merged LV.

You can invoke it also by issuing 'lvchange --refresh' which may start to
merging (if the conditions do allow the operation to start).

Regard

Zdenek