[linux-lvm] Q: lvcreate, systemd and tmp.mount

pasxizeis pasxizeis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:03:27 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Perhaps this is more of a systemd-related question, but I wasn't sure so
here I go. I'm running into an issue where an lvcreate invocation
somehow (supposedly) results in systemd trying to activate tmp.mount.

    fooctl.py[14099]: foopkg-utils [14099]: INFO RunCmd: lvcreate -kn
    --addtag @bar -s -n bar_elastic-1582433367.seven
    storage/bar_elastic-1582433367

    dmeventd[663]: No longer monitoring thin pool
    storage-thinpool-tpool. lvm[663]: Monitoring thin pool
    storage-thinpool-tpool.

    fooctl.py[14099]: foopkg-utils [14099]: WARNING Command 'lvcreate
    -kn --addtag @bar -s -n bar_elastic-1582433367seven
    storage/bar_elastic-1582433367' stderr out: ' WARNING: Sum of all
    thin volume sizes (2.98 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool
    storage/thinpool and the size of whole volume group (378.00 GiB)! '

    systemd[1]: tmp.mount: Directory /tmp to mount over is not empty,
    mounting anyway.

    systemd[1]: tmp.mount: Failed to run 'mount' task: No such file or
    directory systemd[1]: Failed to mount /tmp.

The thing is (a) I don't have tmp.mount activated (my /tmp belongs in
the root fs) and there is no relevant entry in `/etc/fstab`. The unit is
only defined at `/usr/share/systemd/tmp.mount`. So I don't get why
systemd is trying to mount tmp.mount at all and why only after the
`lvcreate` invocation.

Another interesting observation, is that even though I also do other
lvcreate invocations from the same group, the tmp.mount issue only comes
after invocations where the lv name ends with `.seven` (like in my
example above).

This is Debian Stretch with lvm 2.02.168.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!