[linux-lvm] exposing snapshot block device

Tomas Dalebjörk tomas.dalebjork at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:09:47 UTC 2020

hi

I tried to perform as suggested
# lvconvert —splitsnapshot vg/lv-snap
works fine
# lvconvert -s vg/lv vg/lv-snap
works fine too

but...
if I try to converting cow data directly from the meta device, than it doesn’t work
eg
# lvconvert -s vg/lv /dev/mycowdev
the tool doesn’t like the path
I tried to place a link in /dev/vg/mycowdev -> /dev/mycowdev
and retried the operations
# lvconveet -s vg/lv /dev/vg/mycowdev
but this doesn’t work either

conclusion
even though the cow device is an exact copy of the cow device that I have saved on /dev/mycowdev before the split, it wouldn’t work to use to convert back as a lvm snapshot

not sure if I understand the tool correctly, or if there are other things needed to perform, such as creating virtual information about the lvm VGDA data on the first of this virtual volume named /dev/mycowdev

let me know what more steps are needed

beat regards Tomas

Sent from my iPhone